Feature Type:City ADM3 Capital of a 1st order administrative division
Lhasa is the most important city in modern and historical Tibet, both religiously and politically; located in the geographical center of central Tibet, it is home to the sacred center of Tibet in the Jokhang Temple and the famed Potala Palace, from which the Dalai Lamas ruled over Tibet.
- ལྷ་ས། (Tibetan, Tibetan script, Original)
- Lhasa (Tibetan, Latin script, THL Simplified Tibetan Transcription)
- lha sa (Tibetan, Latin script, THL Extended Wylie Transliteration)
- 拉薩 (Tibetan, Traditional Chinese Characters, Tibetan-to-Chinese Transcription)
- 拉萨 (Tibetan, Simplified Chinese Characters, Traditional-to-Simplified Chinese Transliteration)
- Lasa (Tibetan, Latin script, Pinyin Transcription)
- ར་ས། (Tibetan, Tibetan script, Original)
- Rasa (Tibetan, Latin script, THL Simplified Tibetan Transcription)
- ra sa (Tibetan, Latin script, THL Simplified Tibetan Transcription)
- Shixiaqu (Chinese, Latin script, Original)
Lit. "god-place," referring especially to the presence of the two famous Buddha statues traditionally housed in the Jokhang and Ramoché temples respectively, but also more generally to the location of important shrines, temples, and monasteries within the city of Lhasa.
Place ID: F637
Geocode Name: THL Extended GB Code, Code: gb.ext